Here below you will find information and maps about the international recognition of Kosovo.
Each of the maps shows specific information about the different continents.
Table of Content:
- The first map shows the international recognition of Kosovo by countries worldwide
- The second map shows the detailed information about European Continent
- The third map shows Africa continent
- The fourth map shows Asia continent
- the 5th map shows South America
- and the 6th North and Middle America
The Period Before Independence
Serbian, Croatian and Slovenian Kingdoms came together under the government of Tito; after World War II and the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia established by Tito. Kosovo then became a state under the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia.
Yugoslavia joint into the countries that were broken after the collapse of the Soviet Socialist Republic Union.
Firstly Croatia, Bosna and Herzegovina, Slovenia and Macedonia claimed their independence.
During the collapse of Yugoslavia, the most significant act was the terrible war between Bosna and Herzegovina and Serbia.
The USA, NATO, and EU agreed to recognize the independence of Kosovo.
On February 17, 2008, Kosovo claimed its independence.
Furthermore, Russia, Greece, Cyprus, Serbia, Spain, and Azerbaijan didn’t recognize the independence of Kosovo.
International Recognition of Kosovo by Continents
Albania, France, Turkey and the UK were the first countries to recognize the independence of Kosovo on February 18, 2008.
European countries recognizing Kosovo:
- Czech Republic
- United Kingdom
European countries not recognizing Kosov:
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
Why don’t European countries recognize Kosovo?
- Russia had a close relationship with Serbia, therefore, they were on the Serbian side. Furthermore, Russia stated that the independence of Kosovo might encourage other territories (e.g. in Greece or Cyprus) to seek independence. The Russian president Vladimir Putin stated that the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus wasn’t recognized nearly for 40 years. He told to western countries that, they should be ashamed for their hypocritical attitudes.
- Serbia claimed that the land of Kosovo belonged to Serbia.
- Greece thought that they might have the similar problems with Cyprus and the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus by the recognition of the independence of Kosovo. Moreover, because of their political issues, Greece stated that even if Serbia accepts the independence of Kosovo they will never recognize Kosovo as an independent country.
- Spain didn’t recognize Kosovo because the similar political issues they were facing. Furthermore, Spain has the same problem with the self-governing Basque and Catalonia regions.
- Romania and Slovakia opposes the idea that Kosovo can set a precedent for minorities within Romania.
- Ukraine doesn’t recognize any of the new states.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina; although the Serb representative didn’t recognize Bosnian and Albain, the Bosniak and the Croat members of the Presidency recognized the independence of Kosovo.
- Belarus didn’t want to harm their relationship between Serbia, therefore, they didn’t recognize Kosovo.
Recognizing countries: Egypt, Libya, Chad, Niger, Mali, Mauritania, Western Sahara, Senegal, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Ghana, Togo, Benin, Burkina Faso, Nigeria, Gabon, Central African Republic, Uganda, Tanzania, Madagascar, Swaziland, Lesotho, Somalia, Burundi.
The first country that recognizes Kosovo is Senegal on February 19, 2008. Moreover, Burkina Faso recognized Kosovo two months later Senegal.
Not recognizing countries: Algeria, Morocco, DR Congo, Angola, Namibia, South Africa.
Why don’t African countries recognize Kosovo?
- Algeria is keeping their relationships close to Serbia because they don’t want to harm their relationships with Russia.
- Morocco does not recognize Kosovo because of the Western Sahara problem.
- DR Congo stated in November 2009, by the president Joseph Kabila, that Congo will not recognize Kosovo as long as he lives.
- Angola; Utoni Nujoma, the Foreign Minister of Namibia decided not to recognize Kosovo after a meeting with the Serbian Foreign Minister, Vuk Jeremic in September 2010.
- South Africa as well as Angola, after a meeting with Vuk Jeremic on August 30, 2010, South Africa stated that they will not recognize Kosovo.
Asian countries recognizing Kosovo as an independent state:
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
The first country that recognized Kosovo is Afghanistan by their decision on February 18, 2008. Taiwan (which itself is only recognized by 15 states) stated their recognition of Kosovo after Afghanistan.
Asian countries that do not recognize Kosov as an independent country:
- Sri Lanka
Why don’t Asian countries recognize Kosovo?
- Kazakhstan; doesn’t recognize any new states.
- India; supports Serbia.
- China; because of the Taiwan issue doesn’t recognize Kosovo.
- Iran; despite there is not an official decision, they follow Russia because of their close relationships. Moreover, there is another idea on this that they don’t recognize Kosovo because the military base of the USA is placed in Kosovo.
- Iraq; because Iraq had supported the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Serbia in 2010 they didn’t recognize Kosovo.
- Laos; recognizes Kosovo as a Serbian province.
- Vietnam; thought that independence of Kosovo would create new problems in Balkans.
- Indonesia; there are different opinions in the country about recognizing or not recognizing Kosovo.
- Sri Lanka; because of their good relationship with Serbia they didn’t recognize Kosovo.
South American countries recognizing Kosov:
- Falkland Islands
- South Georgia
- South Sandwich Islands
South American states that do not recognizing Kosovo as an independent country are:
Why don’t South America recognize Kosovo?
- Brazil; supports Serbia.
- Bolivia; stated on December 4, 2009, that Kosovo is part of Serbia and Kosovo Rebuplics doesn’t exist.
- Argentina; repeats over and over again that Kosovo will not be recognized by Argentina.
- Uruguay; it is stated by Roberto Conde on September 27, 2010, that Uruguay would never recognize the independence of Kosovo.
North & Middle America
North & Central American Countries Recognizing Kosovo:
- Costa Rica
- Dominican Republic
- French Guiana
- Puerto Rico
- United States of America
Costa Rica is the first country in the world that recognized Kosovo.
Also, right after behind Costa Rica the United States of America claimed their recognition of Kosovo.
The USA also played a significant role in Kosovo’s gaining independence. By the declaration of the president of the USA; George Bush, Kosovo became officially independent.
Not Recognizing countries:
Why don’t Middle America recognize Kosovo?
- Venezuela; named the new leader of Kosovo Haşim Taçi as a terrorist supported by the USA.
- Jamaica; will also support Serbia to protect the union of Serbian lands.