Gasoline Prices in Europe

Gasoline prices in Europe are on the rise.

You can look at the table of changes in oil prices in a month.

Petrol prices in Europe
Petrol prices in Europe

Consumer prices for petroleum products in EU countries

 Country/ EURO/1,000LEuro-super 95Diesel
Austria1,4271,411
Belgium1,673.091,676.84
Bulgaria1,209.221,211.78
Croatia1,476.31,463
Cyprus1,365.491,444.33
Czechia1,470.661,429.39
Denmark1,874.081,611.93
Estonia1,5731,371
Finland1,9171,652
France1,662.551,549.32
Germany1,7521,575
Greece1,7741,515
Hungary1,401.021,430.97
Ireland1,714.31,614.5
Italy1,750.761,613.84
Latvia1,5081,401.33
Lithuania1,442.181,343.63
Luxembourg1,5021,394
Malta1,3401,210
Netherlands1,9921,639
Poland1,302.681,303.34
Portugal1,7371,540
Romania1,276.621,268.57
Slovakia1,4981,394
Slovenia1,365.671,470.55
Spain1,5101,384.35
Sweden1,798.611,908.16

EUR 27 Weighted average
1660,811509,57
Source: European Commission

Why Gasoline Prices Are Increasing?

High gas prices are caused by high crude oil prices. Because oil costs account for 72 percent of the price of gasoline. The remaining 28 percent comes from distribution, refining, and taxation.

When oil prices rise, you can expect to see this increase in the gas pump after six weeks. In January 2018, oil prices reached a 30-month-high.

Gas and oil prices affect supply and demand as well as the majority of what you buy. When demand is bigger than demand, prices rise. Seasonal demand also affects oil and natural gas prices. We can usually expect prices to rise every fall. Distributors also cause high gas prices.

What can we do?

The most immediate thing we can do is to reduce our gas consumption by driving less or improving fuel efficiency. Surprisingly, the best way to improve fuel efficiency is to check the tires’ pressures frequently and keep them at the recommended values.

We should head for public transport. The use of public transport is very efficient in many ways. The monthly or annual cost is much more profitable than the gasoline price.

We can reduce the pollution rate when the number of vehicles is reduced when it is directed to public transportation. This is important not only for your country but for the whole world.

There is now a fact of global warming in our lives, and we should not ignore it anymore.

You can view the previous year’s map here (from 2017)

Europe Gas Prices
Historical Map: Gas Prices in 2017